Wednesday, May 27, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Le Murate. Progetti Arte Contemporanea
Thursday, May 28, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Il Vivaio del Malcantone, via del Malcantone 15
The meeting aims at giving space to a reflection on the processes and the prospects of creative training as part of a social and cultural condition which requires a continuous review of the pedagogical tools and educational structures, as well as of the positioning of the artist – both in training and already professional – within the world of work.
Day1The morning of the first day at Le Murate. Progetti Arte Contemporanea is organized in the form of a seminar with experts of the relation between arts, education and entrepreneurship. It will be led by Pietro Gaglianò and opened by the Deputy Mayor of the City of Florence Cristina Giachi. The seminar will be attended by representatives of the major public and private institutions for creative education of the Florentine area, together with artists and cultural workers who testify to the continuity between education, self-employment and the structuring of new professionals:
- Valentina Gensini, artistic director of Le Murate. Progetti Arte Contemporanea
- Fabio Cavallucci, director of Centro per l’Arte Contemporanea Luigi Pecci, Prato
- Eugenio Cecioni, director of the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence
- Daria Filardo, curator and teacher at the Master in Fine Art - SACI Firenze
- Teresa Megale, associate professor in Theatre History and Delegate of the Rector for the theatrical activities of the University of Florence
- Valerio Rocco Orlando, artist
- Paolo Pieri-Nerli, architect, curator and teacher at Palazzo Spinelli per l’Arte e il Restauro
- Luca Ricci, artistic director Kilowatt Festival, Sansepolcro, and Dominio Pubblico, Rome
- Maurizia Settembri, artistic director Fabbrica Europa
- Giulio Stumpo, economist and CEO of SMartIt.
In the afternoon, three focus groups moderated by Marina Bistolfi, Caterina Poggesi and Cesare Torricelli with the participation of numerous cultural workers, artists and trainers of the territory, will go more in depth into specific issues connected to the general theme: Self-employment as creative ideation; Risks and potential of the creative process in the encounter with the market; The social purpose of production processes and of the support to art.
Starting by re-centering the object of teaching in arts, reflections will be opened on the specific role of educational institutions, on their projection in the scenarios of work locally and internationally, on the complex and often conflicting balance between experimentation and acquisition of skills, between independence and market integration.
- Teaching arts: what is the object?
- How do we balance the commitment with respect to the competence, attitude, language?
- How much should and how much can it be professionalizing?
- How much should it be targeted to the acquisition of a professional profile?
- Do training institutions have the ability to guide and accompany the transition into profession?
- Education and work in Italy, compared with the European and international context.
- The relationship between the complexity of the arts and the market system: the difficulty to keep the research alive, to nourish it without standardising.
- Do we need to find people specialized in accompanying artists in their relationship with the work?
- Or is it appropriate to provide the artists themselves of tools to manage their own path independently? or both?
Some food for thought
Day 2The second day at Il Vivaio del Malcantone takes place in the form of a workshop for a smaller group of up to 20 participants in an interpersonal dimension, with activities and discussions introduced by the testimony of three projects born in the territory: Lei disse sì, Multiverso, Il Vivaio del Malcantone. Facilitators: Pietro Gaglianò and Caterina Poggesi.
The main objective is the identification of criticalities, resources and needs of arts professionals, to be integrated in a common document. Rather than at provoking reflections, the format of activities and the choice of invitees aim at finding the conditions to initiate processes of true confrontation, exchange and sharing of experiences and projects. Also artists and cultural workers present the previous day will be invited to participate, in order to create, starting from the varied composition of the group, the diversity that is essential for a constructive discussion.
Registration required: http://il-mestiere-dellarte.eventbrite.it